pansy flower applique pattern and tutorial
The pansy flower fits perfect for spring with its lively colors. I used this pattern to make a cushion years ago as a gift and when I came across with this pattern in my archive, I wanted to make on efor myself. Since it is spring, I’m highly interested in making something related to flowers. I enjoyed doing it and happy with the result. So here are the patterns and step by step tutorial on how to make the pansy flower applique pattern.
1. Download free pansy pattern and leaves below.
2. Print the patterns, enlarge it 75% or 100%, or you can just use them as they are if you want a smaller pattern.
3. Choose the background fabric, fabric for leaves, petals of the pansy and the center of the flower. I used four shades of purple. A1 – lilac, B2 light purple, C3 – D3 darker purple and E4 is the darkest shade of purple. The piece at the center is yellow.
4. Cut the templates of each shape. Paper piece each shape and stitch the petals together. The pictures will help you to figure out more easily. When you stitch them together, remove the papers after ironing them. Leaves are also paper pieced and ironed.
5. Next you need to attach your applique to the background fabric. The one I used is 20”x20” with seam allowance. The measurement is adequate for a cushion or wall hanging but it all depends on what you plan to do with the pattern.
6. Place the pansy flower and the leaves around the pansy on the fabric and pin it. Then you need to baste it or you can attach it by using applique glue before you start appliquing.
7.Now you are ready to appliquing. When you finish appliquing, embroider on the center and on the petals with yellow thread as in the photo.
8.The top’s finished and ready for quilting. Enjoy it!