carpenter's star quilt block pattern and tutorial
Quilting is just so fun and once you start, you can' t stop. Beside many ongoing projects I can 't stop myself beginning a new one. Carpenter's Star quilt is my latest favourite and just love it. It has some other names and variations, one of which is carpenter's wheel.
I prepared tutorial of how to make carpenter's star quilt pattern. It consists of 64 pieces for 18" finished size.
In fabric choices make sure that you have a good contrast between the background fabric, medium fabric and the dark fabric to ensure th e design of the pattern will stand out. The nice outcome of the pattern depends on your colour choices, so be careful while you are choosing the fabrics.
The image below shows how the block goes together. Before I start making the block, I usually draw it on paper and colour it, just to see the color combinations and this also helps me figure out the layout. I like to draw, anyway.
For carpenter's star quilt block pattern I chose yellow as background fabric, lila as light fabric and purple as dark fabric. Below is the blocks that you will need. After cutting and making your HSTs (half-triangle squares), you will have these number of blocks as shown in the image below.
- 16 yellow squares at 2.75"x2.75"
- 8 yellow squares at 4.5"x4.5"
- 8 lila squares at 4.5"x4.5"
- 8 purple squares at 4.5"x4.5"
- Place your yellow 4.5" square on top of your purple 4.5" square, right sides together. Sew around your square using 1/4" seam allowence. Repeat this process with four yellow/purple combo and 4 yellow/lila combo and 4 lila/purple combo.
- Cut your square on each diagonal as shown in the image below. This will give you 4 HSTs per one set. Repeat this with your other squares.
- Here comes the most tedious part to me. We need to square these blocks to 2.75"x2.75". It is important because if you do not square them up, you will not have a nice square block. So this part is tedious but important.
- Open seams of HSTs, which will be 2.75"x2.75" and press with iron.
- Layout your pieces following the diagram at the top.
- Start sewing from column 1 by putting it on column 2, right sides together. Chain sew, using 1/4" seam allowence.
- Repeat sewing the blocks together until all your columns are sewn.
- Press each row in opposite directions. Dont forget to opel seams.
- Take row one and flip it over row 2, right sides together. Pin each seam, make sure that the seams are going in opposite directions.
- Sew using 1/4" seam allowance. Continue to sew the rows together until the block is completed.
Now I have a beautiful 18" Carpenter's Star quilt block! I like the result. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. What do you think? Let me know your opinions and show me your Carpenter's Star quilt pattern blocks.